22 Sep APACHE CORDOVA ADDS WINDOWS 8.1 AND WINDOWS PHONE 8.1 UNIVERSAL APPS SUPPORT
Sept 2014, Bellevue, WA –
The Apache Cordova 3.6 release has been inspired by the idea of Building universal Windows apps. It introduces a new unified ‘windows’ platform to build apps targeting Windows 8.0, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1. Note, Windows Phone 8.0 still remains as a separate ‘wp8’ platform due to different implementation.
“Modern browsers offer outstanding performance and web standards support so we see a growing tendency to build cross-platform apps with HTML5. This approach has both positives and negatives when compared to native app development that can, and should, influence decisions when making a choice for development. The most appealing benefit of this approach is the ability to build and manage one app instead of several different versions of the same app, deploy it across multiple platforms for maximum market exposure and to reduce development cost and time. With the Apache Cordova framework, Akvelon is able to leverage our existing HTML5 skills to deliver a high quality app experiences that many companies including Microsoft, Intel, IBM, RIM, Google, Salesforce, Dropbox and Telerik actively support and use.” – stated Toby Rawlinson, Akvelon’s Partnership Manager.
Most notable changes include:
- Android and Amazon FireOS platforms include a new whitelist for controlling the launch of external applications via intents. Also support for gradle was added.
- CB-6761 Android: Fix native->JS bridge ceasing to fire when page changes and online is set to false and the JS loads quickly
- Windows8 platform is now called Windows to indicate the support for windows universal apps. The windows8/windows platform now supports building apps targeting Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 in addition to Windows 8 which was originally supported (see documentation for new –win and –phone Command Line switches).
- For targeting Windows Phone 8.0, the wp8 is still supported.
- Support for Windows Universal Apps is being added.
Below we have shared a few pro tips for working with the new and unified ‘windows’ platform (requires Apache Cordova CLI 3.6 installed):
1. To perform upgrade from ‘windows8’ to ‘windows’ platform:
cordova platform update windows8
# alternative way
cordova platform rm windows8
cordova platform add windows
- –win and –phone switchesPlatform introduces new ‘–win’ and ‘–phone’ command line switches you can use along with the build and run commands to specify desired target (tablet/PC vs Phone):
|# build tablet/PC version only
cordova build windows — –win
# build Phone only
cordova build windows — –phone
# deploy app on phone emulator
cordova emulate windows — –phone
# deploy tablet/PC build on local machine
cordova run windows — –win
- To control Tablet/PC build target version (Windows 8.0 vs Windows 8.1):By default build command produces two packages: Windows 8.0 and Windows Phone 8.1. To upgrade Windows package version from 8.0 to 8.1 the following configuration setting must be added to configuration file (config.xml).
|<preference name=’windows-target-version’ value=’8.1′ />|